Working OnlineI can offer you Counselling or Supervision wherever you are
VIDEO PLATFORM | INSTANT MESSAGING | EMAIL EXCHANGE
I am a Registered Therapist and Supervisor with the Association for Counselling and Therapy Online (ACTO) which means I am able to offer you online counselling and supervision service ‘live’, by video platform or Instant Messaging.
My practice is based in the UK and therefore is subject to UK law. I have full Professional Liability Insurance covering work with clients and supervisees Worldwide, with the exception of the USA, where specific laws governing therapy and supervision make this impracticable. If you have any questions regarding working across time zones or geographical borders, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Typically this work is carried out using tools such as VSee Messenger or Zoom – My preference is to use Zoom as it offers greater confidentiality (see explanations below). But I am happy to use VSee if you prefer this. Alternatively, we can complete work by email exchange (where we don’t have to be online at the same time).
When we work together online, I will review regularly how things are going and finish by agreement when you feel ready. If you want to try a different way of working at any time, please let me know.
VIDEO PLATFORM | INSTANT MESSAGING
- For video and IM sessions we will book an appointment in the same way as for face to face therapy. I will wait for you to contact me to begin the session.
- The length of a standard video or Instant Messaging session is 50 minutes. I also allow up to 10 minutes following the end of the therapy session for us to book future appointments or deal with any other administration, so please allow up to 60 minutes for your appointment.
- Longer sessions of 90 and 120 minutes are available for clients needing supervision.
- For email exchanges, I will book an ‘appointment’ with you, which is the day when I will reply to your email. I will ask you to send your email at least 48 hours prior to this appointment date. I will send you a brief ‘receipt’ to confirm your email has arrived.
- Please ensure that any emails you send are encrypted or password protected for your security. If you need any help with doing this, please let me know.
Zoom is modern, secure video chat service that is easy to use and is a great way for us to communicate – it’s also completely free when used for 1 to 1 conversations.
Unlike other video chat options, you and I don’t need to be formal ‘Contacts’ in order to use the service, which helps to protect your confidentiality. Simply register with Zoom and then I will send a single use meeting link directly to your email address for each appointment
USING VSee MESSENGER
The VSee HIPAA Messenger app is specifically designed for the healthcare user – providing simple, secure video, text chat, document-sharing, peripheral streaming, and more.
More details about Vsee Messenger including the free version can be found on the official VSee website, along with setup instructions.
WHAT ABOUT SKYPE, FACETIME OR WHATSAPP?
Whilst you may be more familiar with using Apps like Skype, Facetime or WhatsApp there are some security and privacy issues with these apps which mean they are not suitable for sensitive meetings such as therapy.
If you have any concerns about using either of the apps I have suggested above, please do Contact Me and I can give you more information about them.
- Please remember that there are no online facilities for therapy which can be guaranteed absolutely secure with no risk of information being obtained by a third party. However, I take every precaution available to me to protect your privacy and I would strongly advise you to do the same.
- All emails I send and any notes I keep regarding our work are password protected and I do not share the use of my computer with anyone else.
- It is important that you consider how to maintain your own privacy during our work together; for example, not using a work or college computer and being careful about where you choose to sit whilst our sessions take place.
- If you want any help or suggestions for how to keep things private online let me know.
If you think I may be able to help you, please use this contact form to send me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
I offer all new clients a short initial session free of charge. The aim is to allow you an opportunity to find out more about me, how I work and if I'm the right Therapist for you. If you would like to make an appointment please contact me to check availability. Future sessions are charged at my standard rate. Please click here to view information about my standard fees.
If I can’t take your call then please leave a voicemail or send me a text. I will be happy to return your call as soon as I am available.
Online Chat & Video Calls
Please click here to find out how you can contact me online, using tools like Zoom and VSee Messenger.
I have a very pleasant therapy room, located in Churwell, South Leeds (just 4 miles from the City Centre). The full address will be made available to you when you book your first face to face appointment.